Mummy & Daddy

Mummy & Daddy

Monday 31 March 2014

Future note.

I've always read the many SOS calls on the breastfeeding network pages, asking for advise on low yield or sudden decrease in milk production. And during those times, I would always count my blessings, grateful for I'm blessed with bountiful of susu.

Until yesterday!

Woke up, felt that both of my breast weren't as firm and full. Also, the contra lateral boobie dint leak while LilBums was suckling on the other. Something was definitely amiss. Panic stroke. And panic  stroke bad!

Few days ago, I developed a sudden rage of fever. As usual when I develope fever, it's complicated by a bout of generalized hives (the most torturous and annoying thing ever!). I did not stop feeding LilBums, still kept at it despite feeling like I was about to collapse. The only time I stopped, was thru out that nite. Bums said I needed rest, as I really couldn't take it. So decided to thaw one packet of frozen breast milk I've kept stored. I woke up that morning with slight engorgement, and hence pumped it out and got about 6-7oz. That aftnoon I started feeding LilBums again.

I was thus caught off guard, when all I managed to pump out yesterday was a mere 1-2oz. Usually, it'll be a full 8-9oz per session! Damn! I was heartbroken, and very much in years. Not many understood the significance though.

Despite still feeling a bit drowsy and weak, spent the whole of yesterday trying to boost my milk production. Few cups of hot milo + 3 cans of Malta (malt, excellent booster. Usually I only require one can!), had fenugreek tea the whole morning (worker much like a detox for me too!), Mummy made a large pot of red bean porridge (and I hate em red beans, but for the sake of susu I ate almost 2-3 bowls full), had a large bowl of oats for lunch, and fish head noodle soup for dinner. Everything was a milk booster. Apart from that, stimulated production by pumping every 2hours. Although all I got was a mere 1-2oz. Pumped like mad, still.

Was worried if LilBums was insatiable, but he was passing out sufficient wet diapers and poop. He suckled for a much longer time though and he cluster fed mostly, which made my nipples sore and shoulders and arms to hurt. He woke up 4 times thru out the nite, nursed for longer than usual and slept well there after. I guess he was full, coz I needn't use the thawed milk I kept out just in case.

Woke up this morning, and glad my breast seemed a bit more full. But still not as full as I'd like em to be, still gonna be loading on em susu boosters today. Daddy bought shark, which Mummy made into a yummy soup. Whacked one bowl for lunch!

It's been an exhausting weekend. And I feel totally zombiefied. The post febrile myalgia, with the muscle fatigue and the tendinitis is really troubling me. Yet I'm pulling thru. Coz my son needs me, and I know my effort will bear results soon.

I don't know what really killed it. The fever? The one night not feeding? How do many do it every nite and still have susu? Meds? I really had to take a pred jap for my hives (25mg) and took one oral dose of loratadine. 100+? Drank lots of it, instead of water. Lack of oral intake? Hardly had much to eat as I could hardly even sit up. I really don't know. Best part, I don't even know why I developed the sudden fever. No other symptoms, no breast engorgement. Just fever.

I want my normal susu production back. I'm sure he misses his susu abundance too.

I'll continue striving. Today I'm a bit more calm and relaxed.

Tired, yet relaxed. Fingers crossed!

Lesson learnt: never take things for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment